Shrigley & Hunt (1874-1982)

Firm founded in Lancaster 1874 by Arthur Hunt when he took over Hudson & Shrigley. Having worked for Heaton and Butler & Bayne at the time that Henry Holiday was supplying designs for the firm, he also sought to supply lighter, more natural and intelligible interpretations of biblical and other narratives in stained glass. His principal designer was Carl Almquist, a pupil of Henry Holiday, who with E.H. Jewitt (1849-1929) was responsible for most of the output for forty years. Their work is characterised by good design and a debt to the Pre-Raphaelite tradition of Edward Burne-Jones. Hunt died in 1917, but the firm continued until 1982 under the leadership of Joseph Fisher (1911-82), who progressively modernised the output of the firm.

Further reading

William Waters, Stained Glass from Shrigley & Hunt of Lancaster and London (Lancaster: Centre for North-West Regional Studies University of Lancaster, 2003).

Barrie Armstrong and Wendy Armstrong, The Arts and Crafts Movement in the North West of England: A Handbook (Wetherby: Oblong, 2005), p. 262-3.

Martin Harrison, Victorian Stained Glass (London: 1980), p. 55.



Your search found 30 results.
The Good Shepherd
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
Church of St Michael, Trelawnyd, Flintshire
south wall of the chancel
Christ the Good Shepherd and the Virgin & Child
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
Church of St Michael, Trelawnyd, Flintshire
north wall of the chancel
  St John the Baptist with Angels St John the Baptist with Angels
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
probably late nineteenth century
Church of St Mary, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south aisle
  The Symbols of the Four Evangelists The Symbols of the Four Evangelists
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
Church of St Mary, Betws-y-coed, Conwy
west wall of the nave
  Crucifixion with Mary, John and Mary Magdalene Crucifixion with Mary, John and Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
1886
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  Angels Holding the Beatitudes Angels Holding the Beatitudes
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
nave
  St Michael St Michael
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
designer: Carl Almquist
about 1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
west end of the nave
  Two Angels Two Angels
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
artist: Carl Almquist
1887
Church of St Bledrws, Betws Bledrws, Ceredigion
porch
West Window
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
probably about 1895
Church of St Tysilio, Llantysilio, Denbighshire
west wall of the nave
  The Adoration of the Shepherds The Adoration of the Shepherds
firm/studio: Shrigley & Hunt
1894
Church of St Mary, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017