Mary Lowndes (1857-1929)

Influential stained glass artist and co-founder, with Alfred Drury (1868-1940), of The Glass House in London. The daughter of the vicar of St Mary's Church, Sturminster Newton, Dorset, Mary Lowndes trained at the Slade School of Fine Art in London. She was also a pupil of Henry Holiday and designed for James Powell & Sons from 1887-92. The Lowndes and Drury studio and workshop was set up in 1897, where independent artists were able to make their own windows or supervise production, drawing on the expertise of the craftspeople working there. This was followed by the establishment of The Glass House, Lettice Street, Fulham, in 1906, an enterprise that enabled artists to work in the arts and crafts tradition as advocated by Christopher Whall.

Further reading

Nancy Armstrong, 'Lowndes, Mary (1856–1929)' in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004).

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 81.

Barrie Armstrong and Wendy Armstrong, The Arts and Crafts Movement in the North West of England: A Handbook (Wetherby: Oblong, 2005), p. 243.

Peter Cormack, Women Stained Glass Artists of the Arts and Crafts Movement (London: London Borough of Waltham Forest, 1985), pp. 5–6.



Your search found 6 results.
  Christ the Good Shepherd Christ the Good Shepherd
artist: Mary Lowndes
after 1903
Nantgwyllt Chapel of Ease, Garreg-ddu, Powys
east window (sanctuary apse)
  The Good Wife The Good Wife
artist: Mary Lowndes
patron: Londonderry (family)
1908
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
north wall
  Virgin and Child with St Cecilia and St Margaret Virgin and Child with St Cecilia and St Margaret
artist: Mary Lowndes
1917
Church of St Margaret, Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall of the north transept
  St John the Evangelist and the Virgin Mary St John the Evangelist and the Virgin Mary
artist: Mary Lowndes
about 1920
Church of the Holy Trinity, Aberaeron, Ceredigion
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Risen Christ Meeting the Fallen Soldier The Risen Christ Meeting the Fallen Soldier
Designer: Mary Lowndes
1920
Church of St Mary, Spittal, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  St Cecilia and St Luke St Cecilia and St Luke
artist: Mary Lowndes
1925
Church of the Holy Trinity, Aberaeron, Ceredigion
south wall of the nave




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017