Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SH7400

Church (Anglican)
Church on this site by the mid-thirteenth century. Rebuilt 1827, and renovated and altered 1894 at the expense of Mary Cornelia, Marchioness of Londonderry, then resident at Plas Machynlleth. Porch restored 1902. Belfry 1745. At the time of the 1893-94 restoration Lady Londonderry was churchwarden, 'perhaps one of the earliest female churchwardens in the Anglican church'.

People associated with this site
   as patron: Londonderry (family)


Artworks at this site:
  The Good Wife The Good Wife
artist: Mary Lowndes
patron: Londonderry (family)
1908
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
north wall
  Scenes from the Bible Scenes from the Bible
patron: Londonderry (family)
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
1886
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
south wall of the chancel
  Scenes with Christ, Mary Magdalene and Martha Scenes with Christ, Mary Magdalene and Martha
about 1884
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
north wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Bible Scenes from the Bible
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
1886
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
north wall of the nave
  The Ascension with Scenes from the New Testament The Ascension with Scenes from the New Testament
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1879
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
east wall of chancel
  Nine Virtues Nine Virtues
patron: Londonderry (family)
1883
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
south wall of the chancel aisle
  The Risen Christ and Apostles with Scenes from Acts The Risen Christ and Apostles with Scenes from Acts
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
about 1885
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
south wall of the nave
  Peter's Commission Peter's Commission
1891
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
south wall of the nave
  Christ in the House of Mary and Martha Christ in the House of Mary and Martha
about 1937
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
south wall of the nave
  St David and St Deiniol St David and St Deiniol
about 1880
Church of St Peter, Machynlleth, Powys
west wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017