Mayer & Co. (established 1847)

Makers of mosaic and stained glass. The firm of Josef Gabriel Mayer (1808-93) of Munich opened a glass painting department in around 1860. The firm was soon importing to the British Isles, opening a London office as early as 1865 at 70 Grosvenor Street and thrived internationally under the management of Franz Borgias Mayer (1848–1926), son of the founder. The firm were much in demand, particularly by Roman Catholic patrons, as evidenced by many advertisements in The Tablet, and in 1892 Pope Leo XIII gave the company the title 'Pontifical Institute of Christian Art'. Mayer opened a branch in New York in 1888 and retained a thriving business in Britain and Ireland until it was interrupted by the First World War. The firm, and Munich glass in general, has been regarded as the epitome of nineteenth-century stained glass, while those less inclined towards Victorian stained glass have argued that Munich glass is synonymous with all that is worst from this period. Some signatures use the spelling Maier & Co.

The firm still makes stained glass, often in collaboration with artists such as Alexander Beleschenko and Brian Clarke, as well as restoring historic glass.

Franz Mayer of Munich, Inc. Architectural Glass and Mosaic

Further reading

Geoffrey A. K. Robinson, 'Modern German Glass in Munich' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. xiii, no. 3 (1961–2), 477–82.

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), p. 84.




Search for further information about Mayer & Co. on Google

Your search found 25 results.
  Christ with Children Christ with Children
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
Church of St Michael, Cathedine
south wall of the sanctuary
  Saints Saints
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1880
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
north wall of the nave
  Crucifixion and Ascension Crucifixion and Ascension
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1881
Church of St Thomas a Becket, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Bible Christ in Majesty with Scenes from the Bible
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1886
Bangor Cathedral, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south transept
  The Last Supper The Last Supper
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1889
Church of St Mary and All Saints, Conwy
north wall of the chancel
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  The Last Supper The Last Supper
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  West Window West Window
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
west wall of the nave
  Christ the Good Shepherd Christ the Good Shepherd
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1890
Church of St Caffo, Llangaffo, Anglesey
east wall of the chancel
  The Sacrifice of Isaac The Sacrifice of Isaac
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south transept




Browse list of people in the database


View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021