Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ160759
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Roman Catholic)
Church built at the expense of Rudolph Viscount Fielding and his wife Louisa Pennant, and intended as an Anglican church. However, after their conversion to Roman Catholicism in 1850 they withdrew their offer of the church to the diocese of St Asaph, and gave the church to the Capuchin friars, causing great controversy. Originally designed by T.H. Wyatt, the work on the the Church of St David, with St Asaph as a secondary patron, was completed by A.W.N. Pugin and the church opened in 1852.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin
   as architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt


Artworks at this site:
  Scenes from the Life of the Virgin Mary Scenes from the Life of the Virgin Mary
about 1873
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
south wall of the south aisle chapel
  Carved Reredos with Figures Carved Reredos with Figures
designer: Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin
about 1850
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
designer: Augustus Northmore Welby Pugin
artist: George Myers
about 1850
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
south wall of south aisle
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
about 1855
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Life of Christ with Donors Scenes from the Life of Christ with Donors
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
designer: John Hardman Powell
1852
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
north and south walls of the chancel
  Saints Saints
about 1885
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
south wall of the south aisle
  Saints Saints
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1880
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
north wall of the nave
  The Crucifixion The Crucifixion
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
cemetery
  The Crucifixion The Crucifixion
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
churchyard
  The Chalice with the Host The Chalice with the Host
about 1865
Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire
cemetery



Other sites at Pantasaph, Flintshire
Pantasaph Franciscan Friary

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St David, Pantasaph, Flintshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Pantasaph_MG_1327A.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017