Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd

formerly in: Caernarfonshire


Diocese of Bangor

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH57317132

Church (Anglican)

Church designed by the architect A.W. Blomfield in 1888. The church was built and endowed at the expense of Elizabeth Atcherley Symes of Gorphwysfa, Bangor, as a memorial to Henry Thomas Edwards, dean of Bangor. Described as 'one of the best of its era in North Wales', but closed in early 2014.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: Arthur Blomfield


Artworks at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  The Last Supper The Last Supper
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  Pulpit with Scenes from the Bible Pulpit with Scenes from the Bible
1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
nave
  St Michael and St Gabriel St Michael and St Gabriel
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
1923
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
north wall of the sanctuary
  Figure of Christ Figure of Christ
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Read
1925
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Sacrifice of Isaac The Sacrifice of Isaac
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the south transept
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave
  West Window West Window
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1889
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
west wall of the nave
  The Nativity The Nativity
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1890
Church of St David, Bangor, Gwynedd
north wall of the nave



Other sites at Bangor, Caernarfonshire
Bangor Cathedral
Bangor University Collection
Chapel of Church Hostel, Bangor University
Church of St Mary
Penrallt Baptist Chapel

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018