Joan Howson (1885-1964)

Stained glass artist born in Flintshire. Joan Howson trained at Liverpool School of Art from 1909-12, and the following year became a pupil and apprentice of Caroline Townshend (1878-1944) at the Glass House in Fulham, London. After 1920 they entered into partnership as Townshend & Howson, based at The Glass House and then in Putney. After the war, and the death of Townshend, Joan Howson reopened the studio in Putney, and continued to sign windows with the initials of both artists. She also restored medieval glass, and in 1957 reset the fourteenth century panels in the east window of the Church of St Mary Magdelene, Newark, while working with the Department of Medieval Art of Oxford University.

Further reading

M. E. de Putron, 'Joan Howson' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. xvi, no. 1 (1976–7), 46–54.

M. E. Aldrich Rope, 'Obituary: Miss Joan Howson (1885–1964)' Journal of the British Society of Master Glass-Painters, vol. xiv, no. 2 (1965), 111–12.

Joyce Little, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (London: National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies, 2002), pp. 69, 120.

Alan Brooks and Peter Cormack, 'The Artists of the Glass House' The Journal of Stained Glass, vol. xli (2017), 31–2.

Peter Cormack, Women Stained Glass Artists of the Arts and Crafts Movement (London: London Borough of Waltham Forest, 1985), pp. 10–12.

Search for further information about Joan Howson on Google

Your search found 2 results.
  Christ with St Teilo and St Carannog Christ with St Teilo and St Carannog
artist: Joan Howson
Church of St Teilo, Pontardulais, Swansea
east wall of the chancel
  Christ in Majesty with St Michael and Angels Christ in Majesty with St Michael and Angels
artist: Joan Howson
Church of St Michael, Ynys, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel

Browse list of people in the database

View this record on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue
Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021