Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire

Diocese of St Davids

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN28161574

Church (Anglican)

Founded around 1100 as a Cluniac priory of St Martin-des-Champs, Paris. Nave restored 1853-5 by R.K. Penson, and chancel 1883-4 by J. Middleton.

Parish website
For the monastic history of the site see Monastic Wales.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: R. K. Penson


Artworks at this site:
  The Call of Nathaniel The Call of Nathaniel
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926-1929
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the nave
  The Beloved Physician and Paul in Prison The Beloved Physician and Paul in Prison
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926-1929
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the nave
  The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926-1929
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the nave
  The Light of the World and The Good Shepherd The Light of the World and The Good Shepherd
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the chancel
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1926
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion The Crucifixion
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
1901
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  Rood Rood
Church of St Mary Magdalene, St Clears, Carmarthenshire
above the chancel arch


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018