Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff, Glamorgan

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: ST1977
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Built 1881-4 by G. F. Bodley. First church, known as 'The Splott Chapel' opened in a converted barn close to this site. Replaced by a second-hand iron building, purchased from Dudley, co. Worcs and erected 1876. Plans of present church approved 1881 and foundation stone 1882. Opened 1st October 1884. Consecrated 1886.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Bodley & Garner


Artworks at this site:
  Christ in Majesty with Saints Christ in Majesty with Saints
designer: Cecil Greenwood Hare
firm/studio: Thompson of Peterborough
about 1921-1927
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
east wall of the chancel
  Crucifixion with the Four Evangelists, the Annunciation and Saints Crucifixion with the Four Evangelists, the Annunciation and Saints
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1900
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
east wall of the chancel
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1890
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
north wall of St Agnes Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
Lady Chapel
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
Lady Chapel
  The Good Shepherd The Good Shepherd
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
Lady Chapel
  Christ in the Carpenter's Shop Christ in the Carpenter's Shop
about 1920-1940
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
stood at the back of the church on the steps of the font
  Christ Blessing the Children Christ Blessing the Children
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
kept at the back of the church
  Crucifixion Crucifixion
about 1908
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
north west corner of the nave
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
designer: Cecil Greenwood Hare
1919
Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff
nave



Other sites at Roath, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Church of St Margaret
Church of St Martin

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St German, Roath, Cardiff, Glamorgan height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



Other images of this site
_MG_0638.jpg_MG_0639.jpg_MG_0601.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017