Church of St Nicholas and St Teilo, Penally, Pembrokeshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS117991
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Traditionally the birthplace of St Teilo in the sixth century. Some early medieval carved stones are preserved in the church, denoting the early-Christian importance of the site. The church was extensively renovated in 1851 by David Brandon, when mural paintings were found, but obliterated. The interior was refitted in 1884, and the windows filled with stained glass by Jones & Willis.

People associated with this site
   as architect: David Brandon


Artworks at this site:
The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: William Wailes
about 1851
Church of St Nicholas and St Teilo, Penally, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017