Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS966687
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Sixth-century monastery of St Illtud. The church was given to Tewkesbury Abbey in the eleventh century. The western church, which houses a collection of early medieval stones, is eleventh-twelfth century, rebuilt in the fifteenth century. The main, eastern, part of the church, with the chancel, is thirteenth-fourteenth century. The central tower is of the thirteenth century. The church was restored in 1888 by G.F. Lambert of Bridgend, and the western church restored in 1899 by G.E. Halliday. Halliday, with J.W. Roger, made more sensitive repairs to the nave in 1905, and in the same year, the chancel, including the fourteenth-century stone reredos, was restored by W.D. Caröe.

Church website

People associated with this site
   as architect: W. D. Caröe
   as architect: G. E. Halliday
   as architect: G. F. Lambert


Artworks at this site:
  Crucifixion and a Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life Crucifixion and a Soldier Receiving the Crown of Life
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1920
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
south wall of the south aisle
  The Virgin of Mercy The Virgin of Mercy
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1890
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
east wall of the south aisle
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1905
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
east wall of the chancel
  Memorial Window Memorial Window
about 1910
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
west end of the north aisle
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
late 1950s
Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan
chancel arch


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Illtyd, Llantwit Major, Vale of Glamorgan height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017