Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN913521

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
More commonly known as Eglwys Oen Duw (Church of the Lamb of God), the church was built by John Norton, 1867, with polychromatic brick interior and well-designed Victorian fittings, including reredos, stained glass, candle-sconces and ironwork. The church was the gift of Mrs Clara Thomas of Llwynmadoc, widow of Henry Thomas (the estate had passed to their daughter, another Clara, at the age of 21). Originally a chapelry of Llanfihangel Abergwesyn, and to all intents and purposes the private chapel of the Llwynmadoc estate. Parish formed 1874, and church then consecrated in 1875. William Williams (Pantycelyn) had served as curate of Llanfihangel Abergwesyn at the outset of his ministry.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Norton


Artworks at this site:
  The Baptism of Christ and the Adoration of the Magi    from    The Baptism of Christ and the Adoration of the Magi The Baptism of Christ and the Adoration of the Magi
from The Baptism of Christ and the Adoration of the Magi

firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1878
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
chancel
  Font Font
designer: John Norton
about 1870
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
nave
  Charity Charity
about 1908
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
chancel
  Christ the Good Shepherd    from    Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ with Children Christ the Good Shepherd
from Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ with Children

about 1868
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
chancel
  Scenes and Characters from the Bible Scenes and Characters from the Bible
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1868
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
west wall of the nave
  Pentecost Pentecost
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1878
Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys
chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of the Lamb of God, Beulah, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017