Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO123925

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The Church of St Llwchaiarn was built in brick in 1815, and renovated in 1864 by R.J. Withers, when the chancel was added. The nave windows were Gothicised in 1869. The church is now home to the medieval Newtown screen, now in its third location.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey
Church website

People associated with this site
   as architect: R. J. Withers


Artworks at this site:
  St Stephen and St Peter St Stephen and St Peter
firm/studio: Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co.
designer: William Morris
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
designer: Ford Madox Brown
about 1870
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
south wall of the nave
  St Gabriel and St Michael St Gabriel and St Michael
artist: Henry Gustave Hiller
1920
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
south wall of the nave
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
about 1864
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
1868
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
north wall of the chancel
  Scenes with Christ and St Mary Magdalene Scenes with Christ and St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Charles Alexander Gibbs
about 1874
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
north wall of the nave
  Angels with Sacred Heraldry Angels with Sacred Heraldry
artist: Henry Gustave Hiller
1927
Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys
north wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Llwchaiarn, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017