Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO508129
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Consecrated 1101 or 1102, but Priory founded in about 1080 by Gwethenoc of Dol, Lord of Monmouth, and given by him to the Benedictine Abbey of St-Florent, Saumur. Parish Church at the dissolution, when chancel became ruinous. Church except for fourteenth century tower demolished 1736 and rebuilt by Francis Smith of Warwick. In 1879 recast with new east end in the Gothic style by G.E. Street at cost of some £6172. On Street's death in 1882 the work was completed by his son A.E. Street in collaboration with Richard Creed as clerk-of-works.

Church website
History of the Medieval Priory

People associated with this site
   as Architect: George Edmund Street


Artworks at this site:
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
Artist: James Watney Wilson
1888
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Four Rivers of Paradise The Four Rivers of Paradise
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1883
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
baptistry
  Christ with the Twelve Apostles Christ with the Twelve Apostles
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1884
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  St George and St Denys St George and St Denys
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1904
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
north wall of the north aisle
 The Sign of the Theotokos The Sign of the Theotokos
artist: Idwal Brian Bessant
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
nave
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
artist: Keith Jamieson
2000
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
nave
  David, Joshua, St Alban and St Oswald David, Joshua, St Alban and St Oswald
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1923
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
north wall of the north aisle
  St Michael and St Gabriel St Michael and St Gabriel
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1882
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
south wall of the south aisle
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb and Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb and Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1888
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
sanctuary
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John and Scenes from the Death of Christ The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John and Scenes from the Death of Christ
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1885
Church of St Mary, Monmouth, Monmouthshire
east wall of south aisle chapel



Other sites at Monmouth, Monmouthshire
Church of St Mary
Church of St Thomas
Monmouth Baptist Church
Monmouth Methodist Church

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017