Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd

formerly in: Merioneth


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH61331594
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The Church of St John was built overlooking the town between 1889 and 1891, designed by Douglas and Fordham of Chester. The collapse of the tower in 1891 necessitated much rebuilding, and the building was consecrated in 1895. All of the stained glass in the church was made by C.E. Kempe's studio in London.


Search for further information about Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: John Douglas


Artworks at this site:
  Christ with the Twelve Apostles Christ with the Twelve Apostles
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with Saints The Crucifixion with Saints
about 1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  St Paul and St Stephen St Paul and St Stephen
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
about 1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
south wall of the sanctuary
  St Joseph of Arimathea and St Mary Magdalene St Joseph of Arimathea and St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
about 1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
south wall of the sanctuary
  St Gregory the Great and St Augustine of Hippo St Gregory the Great and St Augustine of Hippo
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
north wall of the sanctuary
  St Ambrose and St Jerome St Ambrose and St Jerome
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
north wall of the sanctuary
  The Nativity with Angels The Nativity with Angels
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
east wall of the north chapel
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
north wall of the north chapel
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1911
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
west wall of the nave
  The Annunciation to the Shepherds The Annunciation to the Shepherds
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe
1892
Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd
north wall of the north chapel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St John, Barmouth, Gwynedd height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
BarmouthStJohn_DSC1241B.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018