Church of St Illtyd, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan

Diocese of Cardiff

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO06180779

Church (Roman Catholic)

Church built in 1844-6 to the design of the architect J. Scoles of London and opened in 1847. The church was enlarged in 1894 by the Benedictines and its orientation changed, with an apsidal chancel added at the south-west.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)


Search for further information about Church of St Illtyd, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan on Google


Artworks at this site:
The Virgin Mary and the Risen Christ
probably early twentieth century
Church of St Illtyd, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) north wall of the north aisle
St Brigid and St John
probably early twentieth century
Church of St Illtyd, Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil
(liturgical) north wall of the north aisle



Other sites at Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan
Church of St John the Baptist





Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019