Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire

Diocese of St Davids

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN13250582

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

Medieval church located to the north of the modern seaside town of Saundersfoot. The Church of St Issell was substantially altered when largely rebuilt in the 1860s. The church is situated close to Hean Castle, which was owned by Sir W.T. Lewis, first baron Merthyr of Senghenydd, and he and his family gave various furnishings to the church.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire on Google


Artworks at this site:
  Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John Christ with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
donor: William Thomas Lewis
1902
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
probably early twentieth century
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes of Teaching and Learning Scenes of Teaching and Learning
firm/studio: William Wailes
about 1865
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
east wall of the north aisle
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1912
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
  Peter's Commission Peter's Commission
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1925
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
west wall of the south aisle (baptistry)
  St Michael St Michael
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1915
Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire
north wall of the north aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Issell, St Issells, Pembrokeshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018