Church of St Philip, Caerdeon, Gwynedd

formerly in: Merioneth


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH651181
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Church built in 1865, but not consecrated until 1875 following legal disputes over the use of English in the services. Caerdeon Chapel was built to the design of Revd John Lewis Petit, for his brother-in-law Revd W.E. Jelf, in an unusual style modelled on rustic Italian churches of the southern Alps.

Artworks at this site:
The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: C. E. Kempe
about 1895
Church of St Philip, Caerdeon, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
Angels
1900
Church of St Philip, Caerdeon, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017