Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire

Diocese of St Asaph

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ07146623

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

Large double-naved medieval church. The church of Llanfarchell (Whitchurch or Eglwyswen) is dedicated to St Marcella (or Marcellus) and was substantially extended in the fifteenth century. The church houses very few remains of its medieval furnishings and fittings but is rich in seventeenth century memorials and stone and wood carving. The church was restored in 1908 by H. Fowler of Durham.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire on Google


Artworks at this site:
  Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ Scenes from the Resurrection of Christ
artist: Henry Gustave Hiller
1918
Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire
east wall of the south nave
  An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb An Angel Greets the Three Women at the Empty Tomb
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
1912
Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire
north wall of the north chancel



Other sites at Denbigh, Denbighshire
Church of St Joseph
Church of St Mary the Virgin

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Marcella, Denbigh, Denbighshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018