Church of St Dunawd, Bangor-on-Dee, Wrexham

formerly in: Flintshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ388454
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church, probably on the early medieval site of a sixth century monastery founded by Dunawd. The present church dates back to the fourteenth century, with restorations in 1868 and 1877, and further extension of the north aisle in 1913. The tower was rebuilt in 1726.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

Artworks at this site:
  East Window East Window
firm/studio: Alexander Gibbs & Co.
1868
Church of St Dunawd, Bangor-on-Dee, Wrexham
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: Alexander Gibbs & Co.
1877
Church of St Dunawd, Bangor-on-Dee, Wrexham
south wall of the south aisle
  Military Figures Military Figures
probably 1920s
Church of St Dunawd, Bangor-on-Dee, Wrexham
north wall of the north aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017