Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS428914
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church and monastic site associated with St Cennydd, who had founded a hermitage nearby at Burry Holms according to tradtion. The church dates back to the twelfth century with thirteenth and fourteenth century work. The medieval priory was dissolved in 1441 The restoration of 1882-4 by J.B. Fowler raised the level of the floor by four feet.

For medieval history of the site see Monastic Wales

Artworks at this site:
  Christ with St Cennydd and St David Christ with St Cennydd and St David
about 1945
Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea
east wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Cennydd, Llangennith, Swansea height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017