Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST468904
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
An early medieval monastic site was established at Caerwent within the old walls of the former Roman town. The chancel of the present church is of the thirteenth century, and the nave, south arcade, west tower and porch are also of medieval date. Chancel restored by G.E. Halliday in 1893-4, who also built the south aisle and south vestry in 1910-12. Sanctuary fittings and altar rails by G.G. Pace.

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday


Artworks at this site:
  Christ the Good Shepherd with St Stephen Christ the Good Shepherd with St Stephen
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1884
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Passion of Christ Scenes from the Passion of Christ
firm/studio: Lavers & Barraud
1865
Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire
north wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Stephen and St Tathan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017