Church of St Credifael, Penmynydd, Anglesey
Diocese of Bangor
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SH51727497
Photo © Martin Crampinlarger image
Church thought to be founded by Gredifael, or Credifael, an émigré from Brittany in the late fifth century. The nave and chancel probably date from the late fourteenth century, and was little altered by Henry Kennedy's restoration of 1848. The late-fifteenth century alabaster tomb chest in the north chapel is of Goronwy Fychan and his wife Myfanfy. Goronwy was an uncle to Henry VII's grandfather Owain Tudor and the tomb was probably commissioned after the accession of Henry VII to commemorate the importance of Penmynydd as the traditional seat of the Tudors. In 1848 Queen Victoria donated £50 towards the restoration of the north chapel.
| The Crucifixion with the Symbols of the Four Evangelists |
about 1853Church of St Credifael, Penmynydd, Anglesey
east wall of the chancel
Photo © Martin Crampin
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021