Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, Pontypool, Torfaen

formerly in: Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO283006
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Chapel (Independent)
Chapel originally built as a United Reformed Church in 1855 and rebuilt in 1903-4 by Swash & Bain of Newport. Gothic style, with a substantial battlemented tower, Mount Pleasant Church had been closed for some years but is now occasionally used for concerts and events.

Artworks at this site:
  Christ in the House of Martha and Mary and with Women and Children Christ in the House of Martha and Mary and with Women and Children
firm/studio: Swaine Bourne & Son
about 1904
Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, Pontypool, Torfaen
(liturgical) east wall of the chancel
  Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World
artist: T. W. Camm
about 1904
Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, Pontypool, Torfaen
(liturgical) south wall
  The Holy Family The Holy Family
firm/studio: John Hall & Sons
about 1936
Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, Pontypool, Torfaen
(liturgical) south wall


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, Pontypool, Torfaen height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017