Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH769009

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church built to the design of John Prichard in 1877, replacing an earlier building. The tower over the chancel was taken down in about 1939. However, a plaque recording a grant of the Incorporated Society for Building and Churches refers to a rebuilding of the church in 1884. The church was largely paid for from the will of Ann Pughe. She, and her daughter Maria Jane, also endowed the school.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Prichard


Artworks at this site:
  Scenes from the Gospels Scenes from the Gospels
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
1877
Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  The Presentation of Christ in the Temple The Presentation of Christ in the Temple
firm/studio: Ward & Hughes
about 1877
Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys
south wall of the sanctuary
  Agnus Dei with Symbols of the Four Evangelists Agnus Dei with Symbols of the Four Evangelists
1902
Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  St John the Evangelist St John the Evangelist
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
about 1904
Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys
north wall of the nave
  Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World Christ the Good Shepherd and Christ the Light of the World
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
about 1904
Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys
north wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Cadfarch, Penegoes, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Penegoes_DSC4662A.jpgPenegoes_DSC4599A.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017