Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST523908
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church of early foundation, the present structure was begun in the thirteenth century and the nave was rebuilt in the fifteenth century. Restorations in 1880-2, the architects being John Prichard and Ewan Christian (nave 1881).

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Prichard
   as architect: Ewan Christian


Artworks at this site:
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and Donors The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary, St John and Donors
artist: Horace Wilkinson
about 1925
Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin and Child and the Risen Christ The Crucifixion with the Virgin and Child and the Risen Christ
artist: Joseph Bell
1848
Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
north wall of the chancel
  Faith, Hope and Charity Faith, Hope and Charity
firm/studio: Joseph Bell
about 1855
Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
south wall of the chancel
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
artist: W. F. Dixon
1882
Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire
east wall of the north aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Tewdric, Mathern, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017