Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO002025
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Church (Anglican)
Construction on the church began in 1851 and it was completed in 1852 before being consecrated in 1854. The architect was Andrew Mosely of London, and the south aisle was added in 1910-11 by G. E. Halliday. Rood screen 1890 by William Tate, associate of C.E. Kempe. Woodwork F.C. Eden and W.D. Caroe. In 1961 a bequest of £15000 enabled Stephen Dykes-Bower to restore, re-order and enrich the interior.

Artworks at this site:
  Rood Rood
designer: Stephen Dykes-Bower
1960s
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
chancel arch
  The Crucifixion with Saints The Crucifixion with Saints
about 1877
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the chancel
  St Stephen St Stephen
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1911
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall of the sanctuary
  Jacob's Dream Jacob's Dream
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1911
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall of the north chapel
  Three Archangels Three Archangels
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
1911
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
east wall of the north chapel
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1888
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall
  Women Performing Acts of Mercy Women Performing Acts of Mercy
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
patron: William Thomas Lewis
about 1902
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall
  The Parable of the Labourers in the Vineyard The Parable of the Labourers in the Vineyard
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
patron: William Thomas Lewis
1913
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
north wall
  Christ with Children and Disciples Christ with Children and Disciples
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1905-1915
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
west end of the north aisle
  Christ with the Centurion Christ with the Centurion
firm/studio: Robert J. Newbery
about 1915
Church of St Elvan, Aberdare, Rhondda Cynon Taff
west end of the nave, south side



Other sites at Aberdare, Glamorgan
Church of St Mary
Cynon Valley Museum

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017