Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO04980625
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church built 1846-7 in an Early English Gothic style by T. H. Wyatt and David Brandon, as a daughter church to the medieval parish church of St Tydfil for English-speaking Anglicans. There was a partial reordering of the church in 1868-9 by Edward Brigden.


Search for further information about Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: Thomas Henry Wyatt
   as architect: David Brandon


Artworks at this site:
  Scenes and Figures from the Bible Scenes and Figures from the Bible
firm/studio: A. K. Nicholson Stained Glass Studios
1936
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
east wall of the chancel
  The Resurrection The Resurrection
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
probably 1860s or 70s
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
north wall of the sanctuary
  Virgin and Child with the Burial of Sarah Virgin and Child with the Burial of Sarah
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1860
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the sanctuary
  The Light of the World The Light of the World
1907
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
east wall of the south aisle (Lady Chapel)
  Miriam and the Virgin Mary Miriam and the Virgin Mary
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1874
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
south wall of the south aisle
  Christian Symbols Christian Symbols
firm/studio: Glantawe Studios
designer: Rika Schrinner
2007
Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil
west wall of the north aisle



Other sites at Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan
Church of St Margaret
Church of St Tydfil
Cyfarthfa Castle Museum and Art Gallery

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St David, Merthyr Tydfil height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018