Church of St David, Llanddewi-Brefi, Ceredigion
formerly in: Cardiganshire
Diocese of St Davids
N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.
Site OS Grid Ref: SN66395531
Photo © Martin Crampinlarger image
Medieval church built on a raised site. It is reputed to be the site of the synod of Llanddewi-Brefi, where, according to Rhigyfarch's Life of David, the ground rose beneath him as he preached. Six inscribed stones, dating from the seventh to the ninth century, attest the early Christian significance of the site. The church probably dates back to the thirteenth to fourteenth century, and the tower was added in the fifteenth century. Both transepts had collapsed by 1814, when they were blocked, and the nave was rebuilt in 1832 and again in 1874 by R.J. Withers, who also partially rebuilt the chancel.
as architect: R. J. Withers
| Christ in Majesty with St David and St Padarn |
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
1962Church of St David, Llanddewi-Brefi, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
Photo © Martin Crampin
This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information
Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021