Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent

formerly in: Monmouthshire


Diocese of Monmouth

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO21720416

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image


Church (Anglican)

First church 1853-54 by John Norton. Replaced 1898-9 by C B Fowler of Cardiff. Chancel 1905-06.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: Charles Busteed Fowler


Artworks at this site:
  Rood Rood
designer: John Coates Carter
1921
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
chancel
  The Adoration of the Shepherds The Adoration of the Shepherds
artist: John Dixon
about 1940
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
Lady Chapel, south aisle
  The Transfiguration The Transfiguration
firm/studio: Michael and Arthur O'Connor
1854
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
(liturgical) north wall
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
nave
  The Symbols of the Four Evangelists The Symbols of the Four Evangelists
about 1903
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
east end of the nave, by the chancel steps
  The Sacred Heart The Sacred Heart
twentieth century
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
east end of the north aisle
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1891
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
east wall
  St Michael Overcoming the Devil St Michael Overcoming the Devil
artist (after): Guido Reni
about 1880-1930
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
sanctuary
  Virgin Mary Virgin Mary
about 1860-1920
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
sanctuary
  Virgin and Child Between St Anne and St Elizabeth Virgin and Child Between St Anne and St Elizabeth
firm/studio: Bristow Wadley & Co. Ltd.
1940
Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent
Lady Chapel, south aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Michael, Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018