Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN408067
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
The Benedictine Priory was founded in about 1110 and dissolved in 1539. The church was restored in 1885-9 by Middleton & Prothero of Cheltenham.

For about the medieval history of the church see the Monastic Wales website.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Prothero and Phillott


Artworks at this site:
  The Transfiguration with Saints The Transfiguration with Saints
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
1939
Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Life of Christ with Apostles and Archangels Scenes from the Life of Christ with Apostles and Archangels
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
designer: Howard Martin
1960
Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire
west wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
artist: Christopher Charles Powell
about 1936
Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the south transept


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Mary, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Cydweli_2.jpgCydweli_3.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017