Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire

Diocese of St Davids

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN45320105

Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire Burry Port_DSC3913.jpg © University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

Built for the Elkington family of Birmingham, whose copperworks was established near the harbour. Designed by Wilson, Wilcox & Wilson of Bath at a cost of £7,000 and opened in 1877.

Church website

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire on Google


Artworks at this site:
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: John Hardman & Co.
about 1877
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  Virgin and Child with Saints Virgin and Child with Saints
1927
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  Scenes from the Resurrection and the Last Judgement Scenes from the Resurrection and the Last Judgement
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1978
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
west wall of the nave
  Christ Teaching His Disciples Christ Teaching His Disciples
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1961
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the south aisle
  Virgin and Child with St Illtud Virgin and Child with St Illtud
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd.
1949
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the south aisle
  Christ with Mother and Children Christ with Mother and Children
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1963
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the north aisle
  Creation Window Creation Window
artist: Janet Hardy
2000
Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the north aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Mary, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire height=

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019