Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ236605

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church with some extant fittings including graveslabs, glass and parts of the screen. North and south transepts by Thomas Jones in 1847 and the addition of the chancel and north aisle by Oldrid Scott in 1882-4.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Oldrid Scott


Artworks at this site:
  The Crucifixion with the Adoration of the Magi The Crucifixion with the Adoration of the Magi
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
restorer: Burlison & Grylls
1883, with glass from about 1483-5 and 1500
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
east wall of the chancel
  Christ in the House of Mary and Martha Christ in the House of Mary and Martha
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1890
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
south wall of the nave
  The Light of the World with Faith and St John The Light of the World with Faith and St John
1909
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
south wall of the nave
  Virgin and Child and the Annunciation Virgin and Child and the Annunciation
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1871
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
west wall of the north aisle
  St John the Baptist and Christ Preaching St John the Baptist and Christ Preaching
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1883
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
east wall of the north aisle
  The Ascension The Ascension
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1909
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
north wall of the chancel
  The Resurrection with Scenes including St Mary Magdalene and St Martha The Resurrection with Scenes including St Mary Magdalene and St Martha
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1890
Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire
north wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Mary, Nercwys, Flintshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017