Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS512884

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Built in 1892-4 and designed by G.E. Halliday for Olivia Talbot, at a cost of over £2,000. The rebuilt church incorporates fabric from its predecessor, but was kept to the same scale. Lavishly decorated at great expense including carving by William Clarke and stained glass by Burlison and Grylls.

People associated with this site
   as architect: G. E. Halliday


Artworks at this site:
  Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
east wall of the chancel
  St Timothy St Timothy
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
south wall of the chancel
  St John the Baptist St John the Baptist
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
north wall of the sanctuary
  Three Seraphim Three Seraphim
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
south wall of the sanctuary
  Virgin and Child Between Two Angels Virgin and Child Between Two Angels
artist: William Clarke
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
east wall of the chancel
 The Sweet Psalmist The Sweet Psalmist
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
north wall of the nave
  Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers Christ Blessing Children Brought by their Mothers
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
south wall of the nave
  Angel with a Child Angel with a Child
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
south wall of the nave
  The Twelve Apostles The Twelve Apostles
artist: William Clarke
about 1894
Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea
interior of the south door


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Nicholas, Nicholaston, Swansea height=

© University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, photo Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017