Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot

formerly in: Glamorgan


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS753976

Church (Anglican)
Norman church originally dedicated to St Thomas a Becket, but rededicated to St Thomas the Apostle in the 1530s. The tower dates from the mid-fourteenth century, its height increased in 1691 with stone from the ruins of Neath Abbey. The church was enlarged in around 1730, with further alterations in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.

Parish website

Artworks at this site:
  Memorial to Donald Richard Coleman Memorial to Donald Richard Coleman
artist: Elizabeth Edmundson
1992
Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
north wall of the nave
  St Cecilia Window St Cecilia Window
firm/studio: Glantawe Studios
designer: Colwyn Morris
1997
Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
north wall of the nave
  Scenes from the New Testament Scenes from the New Testament
firm/studio: Mayer & Co.
about 1901
Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
south wall of the nave
  Prophets and Evangelists Prophets and Evangelists
Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
west wall of the nave
  The Ascension The Ascension
about 1870
Church of St Thomas, Neath, Neath Port Talbot
east wall of the chancel



Other sites at Neath, Glamorgan
Church of St David

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017