Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO044290
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Cathedral (Anglican)
Fomerly the Priory Church of St John the Evangelist, dating back to the twelfth century, when the church was founded as a cell of Battle Abbey (Sussex). Much of the church was built during the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, with numerous subsequent alterations. The church was home to the famous Brecon rood and the large decorated twelfth century font remains in the nave. Following the dissolution in 1536, the building served as the parish church until the creation of the new diocese for Swansea and Brecon, when the priory church was made its cathedral. Modern restorations by George Gilbert Scott (1861–72) and W.D. Caröe (1925–37).

Cathedral website
Monastic Wales

People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott
   as architect: W. D. Caröe


Artworks at this site:
  The Crucifixion with Saints The Crucifixion with Saints
designer: W. D. Caröe
1937
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the chancel
 Peace Peace
artist: William Strutt
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south transept
  The Baptism of Christ The Baptism of Christ
artist (after): Francesco Albani
nineteenth century
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
Havard Chapel
  The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Bible The Crucifixion with Scenes from the Bible
firm/studio: Taylor & O'Connor
probably 1870s
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the presbytery
  The Last Supper The Last Supper
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
1864
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south wall of the presbytery
  The Adoration of the Magi The Adoration of the Magi
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: Read
about 1925
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the south transept chapel (Chapel of St Lawrence)
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Coakes
1931
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
south wall of the south transept chapel (Chapel of St Lawrence)
  The Annunciation and the Entombment The Annunciation and the Entombment
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
1920s
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  St Andrew and St Patrick St Andrew and St Patrick
firm/studio: Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) Ltd
designer: Ernest Penwarden
designer: Read
about 1921
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept chapel (Harvard Chapel)
  Christ in Majesty with Military Saints Christ in Majesty with Military Saints
about 1902
Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys
north wall of the north transept



Other sites at Brecon, Brecknockshire
Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery
Christ College Chapel
Church of St Mary

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Brecon Cathedral, Brecon, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
BreconCath_DSC5505.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017