Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH477893
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Victorian estate church of Llanwenllwyfo, built in 1856 by Henry Kennedy. Lady Dinorben of Llysdulas gave £936 of the total cost of £1,417, fulfiling her late husband's wish to build a new church. Of principal interest in the church is its remarkable collection of Flemish stained glass panels, presented by Sir Arundell Neave and inserted in 1877. The glass had been collected by his grandfather Sir Thomas Neave.

Wikipedia description

People associated with this site
   as architect: Henry Kennedy


Artworks at this site:
  Christ Carrying the Cross with Veronica    detail from    Scenes from the Life of Christ Christ Carrying the Cross with Veronica
detail from Scenes from the Life of Christ

mainly early sixteenth century
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
east wall of the chancel
  Abraham Kneels Before the Three Angels Abraham Kneels Before the Three Angels
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  Moses with Aaron and Miriam Moses with Aaron and Miriam
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  St Thomas with a Canon St Thomas with a Canon
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  St Andrew with Allert Andriesz Boelen St Andrew with Allert Andriesz Boelen
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  The Mocking of Christ The Mocking of Christ
designer: Bernaert van Orley
probably early 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  Holy Family with St Anne and Joachim Holy Family with St Anne and Joachim
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  St John with the Governor of the Netherlands St John with the Governor of the Netherlands
probably first quarter of the seventeenth century
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
south wall of the nave
  David and Abigail David and Abigail
probably 1520s
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the nave
  The Raising of Lazarus and Christ Healing Peter's Mother-in-law The Raising of Lazarus and Christ Healing Peter's Mother-in-law
c. 1520
Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey
north wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Gwenllwyfo, Dulas, Anglesey height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017