Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham

formerly in: Denbighshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ331504

Cathedral (Roman Catholic)
Built as a parish church by Edward Welby Pugin in 1857, when the architect was only 23, and founded by the industrialist Richard Thompson (1799-1866). Designated as the Pro-Cathedral of the new Diocese of Menevia in 1898, and, following the restructuring of the Welsh Province of the Catholic Church in 1987, now the Cathedral of the Diocese of Wrexham. The cloister and side chapel were added in the mid twentieth century.

Cathedral Website

Artworks at this site:
  Stations of the Cross Stations of the Cross
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
nave
  St Michael St Michael
artist: Trena Cox
1970
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
east wall of north transept
  Pietá with Saints Pietá with Saints
firm/studio: Joshua Clarke & Sons
1902
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
east wall of the chancel
  The Entombment The Entombment
about 1870
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
west end of the south aisle
  Christ with the Doctors in the Temple Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
north wall of the spire
  Apparition of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes to Bernadette Apparition of the Virgin Mary at Lourdes to Bernadette
1909
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
north wall of the north aisle
  St Joseph St Joseph
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
south aisle
  Pietá Pietá
artist (after): Michelangelo Buonarroti
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
Chapel of Our Lady and St Richard Gwyn
  Christ Carrying the Cross Christ Carrying the Cross
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
south wall of the south transept
  St Frances of Rome and St Peter St Frances of Rome and St Peter
probably about 1900
Cathedral Church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Wrexham
south wall of the cloister



Other sites at Wrexham, Denbighshire
Church of All Saints
Church of St Giles
Church of St John the Baptist

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017