Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys

formerly in: Montgomeryshire


Diocese of Bangor

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN90787991

Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys Llangurig_MG_0434.jpg Photo © Martin Crampin

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image


Church (Anglican)

The site was reputedly given in the twelfth century to Strata Florida Abbey, and the church was built here in the twelfth-thirteenth century. The tower dates to around 1350, and the north aisle to the fifteenth century. The church was restored in 1878 by George Gilbert Scott and Arthur Baker, under the patronage of the Revd Chevalier J. Y. W. Lloyd of Clochfaen (1816-87), who provided £11000 for the work. The unusual scheme of stained glass, by Burlison & Grylls, was under his direction. Tower restored 1983-85.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey
Church website

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott


Artworks at this site:
  St Michael with the Seven Acts of Mercy St Michael with the Seven Acts of Mercy
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  Historical Scenes Historical Scenes
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  St Michael Slaying a Red Dragon St Michael Slaying a Red Dragon
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
about 1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
  Virgin and Child with Local Historical Characters Virgin and Child with Local Historical Characters
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1878
Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys
north wall of the north aisle


Church of St Curig, Llangurig, Powys height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2019 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2019