Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd

formerly in: Merioneth


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH903190
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church rebuilt in 1854 on a medieval, perhaps ancient, site; the discovery of a sixth century inscribed stone in 1746 providing good evidence that the church was an early medieval foundation. The font is twelfth century. The church was rebuilt for the Revd John Williams (1811-1862), who may have acted as the architect. At this time the chancel and south porch were added. Chancel and nave furnishings were added by Harold Hughes in the 1930s. St Tydecho's was closed for worship in 2006.

Artworks at this site:
  Christ with St David and St Tydecho Christ with St David and St Tydecho
firm/studio: Heaton, Butler & Bayne
1864
Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd
east wall of the chancel
  Samuel and Jonathan Samuel and Jonathan
1893
Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd
north wall of the nave
  St Luke and Cornelius St Luke and Cornelius
about 1899
Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd
south wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Tydecho, Llanymawddwy, Gwynedd height=

Photo © Martin Crampin



Other images of this site
Llanymawddwy_DSC3878A.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017