Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SH630807
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Site of cell of St Seiriol, established in the sixth century. Subsequent church burnt by Danes in 971. The present church dates back to the twelfth century, and was refounded as an Augustinian priory under Basingwerk Abbey in about 1220. However crosses and stone sculpture, and perhaps also the tower, are tenth-eleventh century.

History of the Priory

Artworks at this site:
  The Ascended Christ, Christ with Children and the Miracle of the Loaves and the Fishes The Ascended Christ, Christ with Children and the Miracle of the Loaves and the Fishes
1912
Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey
east wall of chancel
  Virgin and Child, St Elizabeth and the Young John the Baptist Virgin and Child, St Elizabeth and the Young John the Baptist
firm/studio: Luxford Studios
1954
Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey
south wall of the chancel
  The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene The Risen Christ Appearing to St Mary Magdalene
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1984
Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey
north wall of chancel
  Christ Calming the Storm with St Seiriol and St Cybi Christ Calming the Storm with St Seiriol and St Cybi
artist: Frederick W. Cole
1969
Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey
north wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Seiriol, Penmon, Anglesey height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017