Church of St Thomas a Becket, Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST454997
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church with some late fifteenth and early sixteenth century work. Restored 1855-7 by John Norton. John Newman, in The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (UWP 2000) p.602 says that the 1924 sanctuary furnishing and stained glass by Camm & Co. are a War Memorial, but this is not so. The work is to commemorate a member of the Hood family of Tredean, a former churchwarden.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Norton


Artworks at this site:
  Sir Galahad's Vision of the Holy Grail Sir Galahad's Vision of the Holy Grail
designer: Walter Camm
firm/studio: T. W. Camm & Co.
1924
Church of St Thomas a Becket, Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire
south wall of the sanctuary
 Angelic Ministration to the Christ Child Angelic Ministration to the Christ Child
designer: Walter Camm
firm/studio: T. W. Camm & Co.
1924
Church of St Thomas a Becket, Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire
east wall of the chancel


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Thomas a Becket, Wolvesnewton, Monmouthshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017