Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys

formerly in: Brecknockshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SO042284

Extra-parochial Chapel (Anglican)
Founded around 1250 as a Friary of the Dominican Order and orginally dedicated to St Nicholas. Dissolved in 1538 and refounded in 1541 by Henry VIII as a Prebendal College. Revived as a school in the 1850s. Chapel served as the parish church of Llanfaes until 1878, but since then only as a Chapel to Christ College School, occupying the chancel of the thirteenth Century Dominican Friary Church. Nave aisles fourteenth century. Nave and aisles ruinous by the seventeenth century. Chancel only restored by Bishop William Lucy in 1660s. Rebuilt in the mid-nineteenth century by J. P. Seddon & J. Prichard.

People associated with this site
   as architect: John Pollard Seddon
   as architect: John Prichard


Artworks at this site:
  The Last Supper with the Crucifixion and Resurrection The Last Supper with the Crucifixion and Resurrection
artist: R. Morgan Llewellyn
2000
Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the sanctuary
  The Crucifixion The Crucifixion
artist: R. Morgan Llewellyn
about 2000
Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys
vestry
  Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
designer: John Pollard Seddon
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys
east wall of the chancel
  The Gifts of the Holy Spirit The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Christ College Chapel, Brecon, Powys
chancel



Other sites at Brecon, Brecknockshire
Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery
Brecon Cathedral
Church of St Mary

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017