Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ315659
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval church restored in 1855-6 by James Harrison of Chester, although a fire necessitated a further restoration by Gilbert Scott. The Gladstone Memorial Chapel was consecrated in 1902, containing effigies of William Ewart Gladstone and his wife. The west window of 1898, in memory of Gladstone, by Edward Burne-Jones is his last window and much celebrated.

CPAT Historic Churches Survey

People associated with this site
   as architect: George Gilbert Scott


Artworks at this site:
  Angel Musicians Angel Musicians
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1911
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
south wall of the south aisle
  Fides and Caritas Fides and Caritas
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1911
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west end of the north wall
  Sower and Reapers Sower and Reapers
artist: Edward Frampton
about 1886
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of the north aisle
  St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator St Bartholemew and Gregory the Illuminator
artist: Edward Frampton
1896
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall by entrance to Gladstone Chapel
  Ezechiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah Ezechiel, Jeremiah and Isaiah
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of Gladstone Chapel
  The Annunciation The Annunciation
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: William Richmond
about 1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
east wall of the Gladstone Chapel
  Angel Musicians Angel Musicians
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1908
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
north wall of the chancel
  Tomb of William Ewart Gladstone and Catherine Gladstone Tomb of William Ewart Gladstone and Catherine Gladstone
designer: William Richmond
1906
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
centre of Gladstone Chapel on north side of church
  The Presentation in the Temple The Presentation in the Temple
artist: Edward Frampton
1891
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west wall of the south aisle
  The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi The Adoration of the Shepherds and the Magi
firm/studio: Morris & Co.
designer: Edward Coley Burne-Jones
1898
Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire
west window



Other sites at Hawarden, Flintshire
Church of the Sacred Heart

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Deiniol, Hawarden, Flintshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales



Other images of this site
Hawarden_DSC1171B.jpg



Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017