Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SJ123583
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Photo © Martin Crampin

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Church recorded 1291 as a college of canons under a dean. In 1310 John de Grey petitioned the bishop of St Asaph for permission to build a new collegiate church within the town and it was constructed between 1310 and 1315. The cloisters of that date survive. South nave dates to the late fourteenth century, and the nave roof to the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century. The College was dissolved around 1536-9, but was refounded in 1589-90 by Dean Gabriel Goodman of Westminster (a native of Ruthin) as an almshouse, to complement the school he had founded 1574. The chancel was demolished in 1663. Much restoration was undertaken in the early nineteenth century and again during 1855-58 by R.K. Penson. The new spire was added in 1858 and the church re-opened 1859.

People associated with this site
   as architect: Richard Kyrke Penson


Artworks at this site:
  The Three Marys Visit the Empty Tomb The Three Marys Visit the Empty Tomb
artist: Mignon Griffith
about 1920-1930
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the nave
 The Lost Sheep The Lost Sheep
artist (after): Alfred Usher Soord
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the nave
  Scenes from the Life of Christ Scenes from the Life of Christ
firm/studio: William Wailes
1855
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
east wall of the chancel
  The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John The Crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John
about 1868
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
west wall of the south nave
  Noah and St John the Baptist Noah and St John the Baptist
firm/studio: James Powell & Sons
designer: Augustus Jules Bouvier
1855
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the north aisle
  Two Roundels Two Roundels
Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire
north wall of the north aisle


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St Peter and St Meugan, Ruthin, Denbighshire height=

Photo © Martin Crampin







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017