Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SS669978
RCAHMW COFLEIN [new window]

Chapel (Welsh Independent)
Tabernacle Chapel in Morriston was built in 1872-3, on the initiative of the tinplate manufacturer Daniel Edwards, by John Humphrey of Morriston at a cost of between £8000 and £10000. With a seating capacity of nearly 1500, it has been aptly described as 'the cathedral of Welsh nonconformity'.

Chapel website


Search for further information about Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: John Humphrey


Artworks at this site:
  The Armour of God The Armour of God
firm/studio: Camm & Co.
1922
Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea
front wall, upper floor
  Receiving the Crown of Life Receiving the Crown of Life
firm/studio: Camm & Co.
1922
Tabernacl, Morriston, Swansea
front wall, upper floor



Other sites at Morriston, Swansea, Glamorgan
Bethania
Seion Newydd

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2018 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2018