Church of St John the Baptist, Buckholt, Monmouthshire

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SO5016

Church (Anglican)
Chapel-of-ease within the parish of St Mary, Monmouth. Built 1889 in simple style. Font dated 1663, and therefore from another church, believed to be St Peter, Dixton, the neighbouring parish, though why this should be is a mystery, as the font there may well be medieval, re-cut in 1861. Had this pre-Reformation font been discarded under the Commonwealth, and replaced in 1663 by this one, only for this in its turn to be discarded during the Prichard & Seddon restoration in 1861-62 in favour of a 'repaired' medieval one - or is Dixton's current font new from the restoration?

Artworks at this site:
  St John the Baptist St John the Baptist
artist: Idwal Brian Bessant
Church of St John the Baptist, Buckholt, Monmouthshire
nave
  Christ with the Doctors in the Temple Christ with the Doctors in the Temple
about 1820-1940
Church of St John the Baptist, Buckholt, Monmouthshire
sanctuary
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
Church of St John the Baptist, Buckholt, Monmouthshire
sanctuary






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017