Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion

formerly in: Cardiganshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Place OS Grid Ref: SN4257

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales

larger image

Church (Anglican)
Medieval or possibly earlier site, and formerly dedicated to St Fyllteg or Byllteg. Ninth-tenth century inscribed stone hints at possible foundation date. Tower fifteenth century. Body of church rebuilt within earlier walls 1871-2 by R.J. Withers. Twelfth century lion font of exceptional interest, though in poor condition.

Artworks at this site:
  St George St George
firm/studio: Celtic Studios
1955
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
south wall of the nave
  Christ the Good Shepherd and the Light of the World Christ the Good Shepherd and the Light of the World
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
south wall of the chancel
  Christ in Majesty with St David and St Deiniol Christ in Majesty with St David and St Deiniol
firm/studio: Burlison & Grylls
1925
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
east wall of the chancel
  The Sanctuary of St David, Llanarth The Sanctuary of St David, Llanarth
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
communion rail
  Bishop William Morgan's Bible Bishop William Morgan's Bible
about 1988
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
communion rail
  Christ with the Twelve Disciples Christ with the Twelve Disciples
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
south wall of the nave
  Virgin and Child Virgin and Child
Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion
south wall of the nave


View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue


Church of St David, Llanarth, Ceredigion height=

Photo © Martin Crampin, Imaging the Bible in Wales







Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017