Church of St Paul, Newport

formerly in: Monmouthshire


N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: ST312875

Church (Anglican)
1835-36 by T. H. Wyatt, a rare example in Wales of pre-Gothic Revival 'Gothick'. According to Pryce's history of the church, however, the architect was Sir Digby Wyatt. (The newspaper account of the consecration in 1836 only refers to 'Mr Wyatt', who was present at the service.) Church re-ordered 1893 by Fawkner. The freehold site of the church was conveyed by Sir Charles Morgan, Bt. of Tredegar House, and the family remained pew-holders and benefactors of the church and parish into the twentieth century.

Artworks at this site:
  Christ the Good Shepherd, the Good Samaritan and Christ Blessing Children Christ the Good Shepherd, the Good Samaritan and Christ Blessing Children
Church of St Paul, Newport
liturgical east wall of the sanctuary



Other sites at Newport, Monmouthshire
Church of St John the Baptist
Church of St Matthew
Church of St Patrick
Llanthewy Road Baptist Church
St Woolos' Cathedral
Synagogue
Victoria Road United Reformed Church

View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2017 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2017