Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire

Diocese of St Davids

N.B.Position of marker is approximate and does not necessarily show the exact location of the site.

Site OS Grid Ref: SN76983516

Church (Anglican)

The church dedicated to Mary at Llanfair-ar-y-bryn, close to present day Llandovery, was originally a small Benedictine priory, dissolved in 1185, and thereafter a parish church. The church mainly dates from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. Repairs were carried out in 1880, and the building was restored in 1913 by W.D. Caroe.

view on the National Monuments Record (COFLEIN)

view on the Church Heritage Cymru website


Search for further information about Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire on Google


People associated with this site
   as architect: W. D. Caröe


Artworks at this site:
  West Window West Window
artist: John Petts
1972
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
west wall
  Crucifixion with Vicar Prichard and William Williams Pantycelyn Crucifixion with Vicar Prichard and William Williams Pantycelyn
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
1922
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
east wall of the chancel
  St George Fighting the Dragon St George Fighting the Dragon
artist: John Petts
1965
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the chancel
  Christ Healing the Sick Christ Healing the Sick
firm/studio: Clayton & Bell
about 1880
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
south wall behind the pulpit
 Car Di Car Di
artist: John Petts
about 1972
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
south wall of the chancel
  Commission to Peter Commission to Peter
firm/studio: C.E. Kempe & Co Ltd
about 1931
Church of St Mary, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire
north wall of the chancel
View this site on the Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue






Arts & Humanities Research Council - project sponsorsNational Library of Wales - project partnerUniversity of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies - project partnerUniversity of Wales Trinity Saint David - project organiser

This database and its contents are copyright © 2008-2021 by University of Wales Trinity Saint David, unless otherwise noted. Copyright information

Database, software and website development by Technoleg Taliesin Cyf. © 2008-2021